Thursday, January 8, 2009

Parisian Bistro

Yummy!


It has been cold and dark here lately. The type of weather you really want to curl up by the fireside and have a nice meal and conversation. A bistro style meal! Oh, I do love homemade mac and cheese, but I wanted a bit more healthful meal, especially since Caitlin was home for dinner.
I had boneless/skinless chicken breasts, nice carrots and mushrooms in the fridge with good potatoes in the pantry. Perfect.

All that I did was to prepare the potatoes and carrots for roasting:
cut into wedges or slices (the smaller the faster they will roast and I wanted mine done in 30-40 minutes).
Place on a foil lined cookie sheet with sides. Drizzle olive oil over them and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Herbs of Provence. Place in the pre heated oven set at 375F.

Pre-heat an OVEN PROOF pan on stove top burner.
Place a table spoon or so of olive oil in it and then the chicken breasts which have been lightly salted and peppered.
Quickly brown each side of your chicken breasts to seal in the juices and give flavor to your meat and pan. This will be a couple of minutes on each side.
Now place pan in oven for 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. If you nicely time the veggies and chicken they will all be done at the same time!

For the sauce:
Place chicken on a warmed plate and cover with foil.
Place pan (that had chicken in it) over a medium burner, add a table spoon of butter and sliced mushrooms, sauté these for a minute or two.
Add a bit of low sodium chicken broth and if desired red or white wine if you have it on hand. Heat through and pour over chicken.
Ta Da! A nice spinach salad is wonderful with this!
I made it two days later when my son was home for lunch (a rare event!). I was thrilled to give him a homemade meal in no time flat... for in no time flat he was out the door for work.

Let me know if you try this! I do think you will be thrilled with your effort!!!

Hugs,
Mary

3 comments:

Betty said...

Mary,
That looks so good. I'll have to try your recipe soon.

ღ Cindy ღ said...

Thanks for sharing Mary! It looks sooooo YUM! I feel like I can have some more even I've just finished dinner... =P

Hugs,
Cindy

manila property said...

Very tummy tempting!