Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Happiness

One may think that using up some food in the fridge is not happiness. But it has turned out that way for me on Monday, spilling over into Tuesday. I knew I had some zucchini and yellow squash to use up. So I went to my own recipe. Saute the two vegetables after slicing into 1/4" wheels. I browned them nicely then added some cut up tomatoes. Next, place fresh spinach leaves over vegetables. The now cooked angel hair pasta had been started just prior and is tossed into the pan of vegetables. Toss in basil, garlic, even hot pepper flakes if you wish. Place in serving dish and top with ribbons of parmesan cheese. (you can added herbs at the end of saute also... I just did not want my pan to have any herb flavors left in the pan this time.

The "happiness" came when I realized that I had too much yellow squash to use up. I had just spied a recipe in Nigella Lawson's cook book Forever Summer that used "yellow squash" . It all came together... this is the yellow squash she meant, not spaghetti or acorn or whatever all of those squashes are named. I had it ready, right there on my cutting board. SO : )... I chopped up the squash per her recipe and sauteed it in the now empty pan ( wiped clean with paper towel) WITH lemon zest and some olive oil.

This means that when I made dinner tonight I was partially done making dinner for the next night. : ) HAPPINESS : )

Little pleasures. This dinner was soooo goood! THe Bruschetta is from Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten. I used blue cheese.

Happiness Soup

***Happiness Soup***

2 large yellow squash 4 cups chicken stock
zest & juice of one lemon 1/2 cup basmati rice
3 tablespoons olive oil Maldon or other sea salt & pepper

This is Nigella Lawson's recipe from her book Forever Summer.

My condensed directions:

Finely dice squash, saute in pan with lemon zest and oil for 5 minutes.
* Stir in turmeric and pour in the chicken stock, lemon juice.
* You can use bullion cubes to sub for the stock= nice golden color
* Drop in rice
* Cook uncovered for 10-20 minutes, or squash and rice are just tender
* Cool slightly= serve warm NOT hot

~~ Bon appetite ~~

6 comments:

Sugar Bear said...

I think you need to come out with your own cookbook! Sounds like yummy dinners. I'm currently sitting at my desk in work and getting hungry reading about them!
Karla

Rosemary said...

Sounds really yummy!!
Better than popcorn for dinner.
Rosemary

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Oh how yummy!!! The pasta meal sounds divine! I make bruschetta quite often at home, as my kids all love it so much. =)

Mya said...

Just happened by and your food sounds yummy. I think I may have to go raid the cupboard now. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
-Mya

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Oooooh I just love summer squash...thanks for sharing! And the bruschetta too!

Unknown said...

I bought a new copy of this book and ended up giving it as a "merci" gift. I never replaced it. It really is a great book!

I will have to copy and paste this into my trove.

KJ