Monday, November 2, 2009

Christmas will be rolled out... at least some delicious pieces made to add to your Holiday Home... even into winter. I can not wait to show you but I must... no camera. I hope that I get it back tomorrow... and add the pieces to my shop by Wednesday. That is my goal. Meanwhile, I hope that you will enjoy this~

Step 2

Soft pillows of loveliness resting on a bed of chocolate cookie. I finally have made this cookie...

It all began for me when I was asked, as a High School Sophomore, to babysit for the Pastor's family that lived across the street from our home. It seems that their usual babysitter had found a beau. I was the lucky person who had a chance to try out for and win this newly opened position ~ Caring for their two lovely children, Mathew ~3 yrs. and Sarah~1 1/2. This family quickly became my favorite babysitting job. It was also here that I was invited into their cookie jar, if I was desiring a treat. Mrs. H. had THE best cookies and I am not sure if this cookie jar only held this type of cookie but it was the only one I ever ate! My Mom taught us to have ONE cookie. Well! Let me tell you when it came to these cookies I would have THREE!!!! Boy did I feel guilty, but they were sooo good that I would eat three! As the years went on I gave my little charges over to my younger sister Jayne. She too LOVED these cookies and she too felt guilty for eating more than our usual one!
I have sent her a copy of this recipe in hopes that we can re~create this cookie layer of goodness. Oh! You see we both felt soo bad for eating more than one that we never asked for the recipe and years, and years later when my sister reconnected with Mrs. H. she no longer knew the recipe!!! OH MY!!!

Now LOOK!~

PA170009

The complete deliciousness. They are topped with a homemade icing.

I must say that these cookies are truly decadent. I sent off a copy of the recipe to my Jayne. I am planning on making some changes.. after I consult with Jayne. I believe I have a better frosting that hardens nicely AND I may toy with the layering process. Well, I used to be an Excellent baker of cookies and pies... BEFORE I married. After marriage, my hubby wanted to eat them all up! I guess he did not have the one cookie or two if a special occasion rule! :)

SURPRISE COOKIES ala Martha Stewart~ Makes about 2 dozen
  • * 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • * 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • * 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • * 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • * 1 cup sugar
  • * 1 large egg
  • * 1/2 cup milk
  • * 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • * 12 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally
  • * Chocolate Frosting for Surprise Cookies
Directions
  • 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
  • 2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
  • 3. Using a tablespoon or 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 10 to 12 minutes.
  • 4. Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begins to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
  • 5. Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.
FROSTING Makes 1 cup
  • * 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • * 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • * 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • * 1/4 cup milk
  • * 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions 1. Place confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter and cocoa powder. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.

Bon appetite! Hugs, Mary

6 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Mary,

What a lovely story about your babysitting days and the cookies.
They look delicious.
I love to bake too, but I know that it is so tempting to eat them, so like to do it when we have guests.

Have a great week
Hugs
Carolyn

Sugar Bear said...

How fun to read of your love of these cookies. I'm sure you made Mrs. H's day by loving them so much!
Karla

Katie said...

OMG, so you hide a marshmellow layer under the chocolate frosting? I'm there!

Love the one cookie rule. That certainly was not the rule at our house. With six kids plus mom & dad, the rule was eat as many cookies as you can as soon as you can. Otherwise you'd end up with zero. Ha!

Anonymous said...

not sure how old you are, but my mother made the cookies chocolate with chocolate frosting. The recipe came from Wrigleys Chewing Gum ad in a magazine when I was 16 yrs old. I am now 62.

janislu@msn.com

bethchien said...

ooo I wanna try these out!
TFS!

bethchien said...

I shared your blog post on my blog! Hope that is ok!
B
http://ilovedirtylaundry.blogspot.com/2009/12/inspired-me-this-week.html