Monday, June 23, 2008
Chance of Showers?
Yes, of JOY!!! This is our project for today!
First I must say that I have been compiling my blog idea book for some time now. That being said... There is a STRANGE coincidence with Martha! I was inspired by Martha's "Craft of the Day" when I needed a a pretty touch to a recent shower gift. Too late to order a cute vintage card or great gift tag from many of your shops. So... shower=umbrella came to mind.
Thus this cute umbrella was born ...
OUR CRAFT FOR TODAY!
Here is your visual supply list:
And the PRETTY STUFF:
Remember the "pretty stuff" is all up to your needs :)
*please note that the pipe cleaner I used is a real mccoy Pipe pipe cleaner, yes for cleaning pipes! It is smaller than most types. Check your grocer, pipe,tobacco and cigar store as well as your craft
*I tried to make the directions very detailed so that all skill levels can have fun!
Let's get started.
1) using your two pretty patterned papers of choice, trace and cut out of each a circle ~ about 3" diameter. This can be done by tracing a 3" round object, using a compass (not pictured) or my weapon of choice a 3"scolloped circle cutter.
2) Using a permanent adhesive like Tomboy adhesive ( I think you are all more educated on this than I) adhere the WRONG sides together, matching up any scolloped edging if used.
3) Using the exacto knife or scissors, cut into the circle from the outer edge to the middle (refer to photo below).
4) Make another cut into the middle of the circle, about 5/8" away from the first outer edge cut. A truly small slice of pie!
This will allow the umbrella to be glued down in a shallow cone shape more easily!
5) Do a dry run of forming the paper into a cone shape of a real umbrella in miniature size! Then, using your TomBoy adhesive (double stick tape will also work) permanently adhere the paper into shape of umbrella. Now you have both pretty papers in view, one inside and the other outside.
6) Using the exacto knife or a wooden skewer (your choice but either way BE CAREFUL, no visits to the emergency room please), make a small hole in the top of the umbrella smaller than the diameter of the pipe cleaner. This will make a nice tight fit.
7) Using the exacto knife end, curl one end of the pipe cleaner around it, forming a mini umbrella handle :)
8) Starting from the inside/underside of the umbrella, slide the pipe cleaner thru the small hole at top of umbrella (srtaight end of pipe cleaner first). Then cut off the extra pipe cleaner from the top, leaving a small tip.
9) Using glue gun, secure the pipe cleaner into place from inside of the umbrella.
10) Now have fun and embellish to your hearts content!
Let us know when you are finished so we can come over to see your little treasure!
Oh merci de l'arrêt près ! Au revoir jusqu'à demain !
Oh thank you for stopping by. Goodbye until tomorrow!